Sunday, February 3, 2008

inebrates create original names

Last night I attended a winter fund raiser for the local NPR affiliate. This particular party always involves lots of drinking and food. You can imagine the number of drunks versus sobers by the end of the night. I heard a higher number of mis-interpretations of my name than usual at this party.

The best one, and this may be one of the best ever, was Praetora. In fact, I had to ask the woman to repeat herself three times just to be clear about what she was saying. She was, indeed, saying Praetora. It turns out that the Roman guards to the emperor were called Praetorian Guards, as explained to me by another woman guarding the door to the bar for no apparent reason, wearing a leopard skin dress and dark, dark, dark sunglasses, speaking to every soul that came and went within earshot.

That's all fine and well but, if you can explain to me how one gets from Kopana to Praetoria, I'd like to hear it! And I might mention that this woman, when sober, actually knows me! She's known me for several years now. And while we don't generally co-mingle anywhere but the station, she does, never the less, know what my name is. Or, at least, I thought she did. But who knows if it was the result of a long standing mistake or that bizarre blue drink she was nursing.

The other name came from three very drunk people, none of which ever, ever, ever said my name right. The closest they got was Kopaeta or Kopeta...I think I even heard a Kopepa in there somewhere. Needless to say, I couldn't leave the party fast enough.


Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: