Wednesday, January 7, 2009

on being thankful

first there was John Travolta's 16 year old son who died suddenly and then I watched Barbara Walters' interview with a very ill Patrick Swayze. Famous people, sure, but human like the rest of us. They come on the heels of a holiday where I was reminded that we're all getting older. Nearly everyone I know, their health is on the edge, some are actually tipping over. So, I've been pausing to think about how lucky I am. I've got my issues, sure, but by and large I'm pretty damn healthy. I know two friends with MS, two others with diabetes, still others with this and that - all things that could turn deadly in the blink of an eye. I've had friends die at very, very early ages - lives cut entirely too short. At the end of the Walter's special I found myself thanking God that I'm ok. With elderly parents and no children or spouse, staying healthy is even more important than ever. There's nobody but me so, what the hell happens if I go down? I don't wanna know. Not yet.

No comments: