Thursday, April 3, 2008

stress over an interview

so, I've been reading a book on management (yes, I know, it's very compelling literature). I stumbled onto something kinda weird. There are several different strategies for doing an interview - structured, unstructured (makes sense), group and board interviews (they make sense, too) and then there's... the "stress strategy".

Some company out there actually takes this approach....

The interviewer assumes a hostile or antagonistic demeanor to purposely stress the candidate. Now, call me crazy but, what the hell kind of company would do that? What kind of business would benefit from hiring some fool scared enough to sit through it? And what kind of glutton for punishment would actually work for a place like that? A co-worker and I debated briefly today about the discovery and we simultaneously said, "BOLT!" (I actually said something much worse)

I never claimed to be the best manager in the world but God help me if I ever get so cocky that I think intimidating a candidate is good management. That's just not a nice way to be. My grandmother would be very disappointed!

1 comment:

Kathryn Lybarger said...

Better yet, why not bring in all of the candidates and let them fight it out? That's the premise of a movie I saw recently, called The Method.