Thursday, January 17, 2008

Toothpaste

People often ask who I'm named after, where I got my name or what my name means. I've asked these same questions of my mother many times. Surprisingly, I got different answers - and they seemed to differ according to the age I was at the time I asked the question.

For instance, my first memory of asking produced the answer, "I had a doll named Kopana."

Next came, "You know how little girls like to change the letters of words and make new words? I had a doll named Kopana."

Followed by, "There was a popular toothpaste when I was young called Ipana Toothpaste. You know how little girls like to change the letters of words to make new words? Ipana Kopana."

NOTE: For those too young to remember Ipana (45-ish or younger) you may have instead seen the movie Grease. There is a scene in which the girls have a sleepover at Frenchy's. On TV is an Ipana Commercial....sing along: "brusha, brusha, brusha, new Ipana toothpaste...."

And then there's my own theory; the theory mom would never fess-up to even if I was right. Before she married dad she was engaged to a Hawaiian. I don't know his name (she's only mentioned him once in my 43 years) but there is a common Hawaiian male name "Kaapana ". (In fact, there's a famous slack key and ukulele master named Led Kaapana ledkaapana.com) Am I a leftover from a romance gone asunder? I think it entirely possible....especially since she'd had 20+ years of rearranging letters to make new words by that time.

Still - nothing sounds as good as being named after a toothpaste!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What if you had gone through your early childhood being called "Hanner-mariar-matilda-jane-steppin-fetch-it". Ooooooooo! That smart-alec ole woman who called me that - ugh! - I didn't like her and told her so every time she called me that. The old bully!!!!!
You know you could have been named "Sonseearay" and called "Sunny" for short. That was my choice of names for you - Sonseearay or Kopana Lynn. Don't know where I got the name Kopana but the other one is an Indian name (you know, like Pocahantus - or is it "as"). Maybe I heard it on that Saturday morning show "The Howdy Doody Show". I wanted to be the clown "Clarabelle" I don't know! I just know that from my teenage years, I always said if I married and had a little girl I would name her "Kopana Lynn". Of course, your dad had to wait for 6 weeks to know what you had been named. Know why? (I'll leave it here) I could have named you "Surri-Belle" or "Ismarelda" and we would have loved you anyway.

Mom